I just received the following announcement:
The Washington Science Fiction Association is pleased to announce the finalists for the 2008 WSFA Small Press Award for Short Fiction:.
- “Bufo Rex” by Erik Amundsen published in issue 347 of the magazine Weird Tales
- “Orm the Beautiful” by Elizabeth Bear published in the January 2007 issue of Clarkesworld Magazine
- “The Wizard of Macatawa” by Tom Doyle published in issue 11 of Paradox magazine
- “Harry the Crow” by John Kratman published in issue 12 of the magazine Aeon Speculative Fiction
- “Mask of the Ferret” by Ken Pick and Alan Loewen published in the book Infinite Space, Infinite Gold by Twilight Times Books, and
- “The Third Bear” by Jeff VanderMeer published in the April 2007 issue of Clarkesworld Magazine
The award honors the efforts of small press publishers in providing a critical venue for short fiction in the area of speculative fiction. The award showcases the best original short fiction published by small presses in the previous year. An unusual feature of the selection process is that all voting is done with the identity of the author hidden so that the final choice is based solely on the quality of the story.
Congratulations to Elizabeth, Jeff, and all the other finalists!