Award-Winning Editor of Clarkesworld Magazine, Forever Magazine, The Best Science Fiction of the Year, and More

Category: clarkesworld magazine Page 1 of 34

International Submissions: A longer view

 
Following on the earlier post about international submissions, our submission data goes back to 2008, so I took another look at the data by year:

A closer look at the change in non-USA submissions:

And to give you some sense of the variety of countries participating: (Keep in mind that 2008 and 2020 are both partial years in terms of available data.)

The lifetime top five countries (US, UK, Canada, Australia, India) were broken out separately because individually their data was the most influential. They were not chosen by language, but it shouldn’t be surprising that it fell that way. Creating “other” to represent the rest of the world allows me to show the progress being made internationally outside those countries. I’m not going to list all 120+ countries participating, but the top ten within other are: Germany, New Zealand, Ireland, Japan, South Africa, Netherlands, Italy, France, Philippines, and Spain.

A Windows into Clarkesworld Submissions by Genre

 

If you go back to 2015 or 2016, the distance between Science and Fantasy is smaller. SF represented around 39% back then and Fantasy was closer to 27%. Dropping Horror as an option contributed to some of this, but SF has slowly gained ground, even without that. I decided to see if the increasing international submissions might be impacting it, but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

Why the future of SF is international

 
I’ve often said that the future of science fiction is international. It’s not a ding against US-based authors. We only represent 4.25% of the global population and the other 95.75% is getting more involved. Now I have some data to back that up. (CW submissions 1/2019-5/2020.)

Twitch

 
I tend to be a stay-at-home kind of person, but I’ve had to cancel traveling to a lot of conventions and events in the last year. One of the things I tend to enjoy the most about those events is the interactions I have with fellow attendees (fans and professionals).

Later this month, I’ll be hosting some online short fiction-related panels with some friends and colleagues, but Kate has been pushing me to try using Twitch for more “just me” stuff. I’ve created an account and plan on holding informal kaffeeklatsch-like events there. If that sentence doesn’t make sense to you, let me translate…

Twitch is a video streaming site. If you go to this page, you’ll find my profile there and can sign up to be notified when I’m “streaming” (on camera and available). I can’t see the audience members, but they can “talk” to me via the chat room. At conventions, a kaffeeklatsch (or a literary beer) is an informal event where you can go and have a group chat with one of the guests. The participants ask questions about the work you do and other related stuff.

I’m going to give this a try and see how it goes. The first session will be Thursday, April 9 at 1PM EDT. How long it runs will completely depend on the audience. Hope to “see” some of you there. (If this works out, I’ll schedule others at different times and different days. Not trying to favor any one particular time zone here.)

Slush Reader Application 2020

 
If you are interested in being a slush reader for Clarkesworld Magazine, I highly recommend that you fill out our application. When a vacancy opens, we consider/reconsider every application turned in during the last year before soliciting new applications on social media. Quite often these positions are filled from existing applications.

A few notes:

  1. This is an unpaid volunteer position.
  2. Slush readers & other staff are prohibited from submitting stories or articles to the magazine.
  3. You should have time to read an average of five stories a day. (You can stop reading a story when it’s clear that we shouldn’t publish it.)
  4. Priority is given to writers and those considering becoming an editor.

A version of this post is reblogged every year or so with minor changes.

Congratulations Nebula Finalists!

 
Congratulations to all of this year’s finalists for the Nebula Award and in particular, A. T. Greenblatt. “Give the Family My Love” (from the February 2019 issue of Clarkesworld) is a finalist for best short story!

Read: clarkesworldmagazine.com/greenblatt_02_19
Listen: clarkesworldmagazine.com/audio_02_19c 

Page 1 of 34

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén