Neil was born in 1966 and grew up with his family in a quiet corner of NJ. After graduating from Drew University with a degree in Computer Science, he entered the educational technology field where he has worked at both the higher education and K-12 levels for the last twenty-seven years. In 2006, he launched Clarkesworld Magazine and Wyrm Publishing a year later. Reprint magazine, Forever, followed in 2015. Neil is also a freelance ebook designer with regular clients including Prime Books, Cheeky Frawg, and The SFWA Bulletin.
In 2012, Neil suffered a near-fatal heart attack while attending Readercon in Burlington, MA. The damage sustained in this incident later required that he undergo surgery for the implantation of a defibrillator. These events inspired his 2014 cyborg anthology, Upgraded.
Neil currently resides in New Jersey with his wife and two sons.
As an editor, Neil has focused primarily on short fiction. Under his leadership, Clarkesworld has been nominated for four Hugo Awards for Best Semiprozine (winning three times), four World Fantasy Awards (winning once), and one British Fantasy Award (winning once). Neil has been nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Editor (Short Form) three times. Stories published in Clarkesworld have won or been nominated for the Hugo, Nebula, World Fantasy, Sturgeon, Locus, BSFA, Shirley Jackson, WSFA Small Press and Stoker Awards.
- Clarkesworld Magazine (Editor/Publisher), 2006 –
- Forever Magazine (Editor/Publisher), 2015 –
- The SFWA Bulletin (Editor), 2015 (interim), 2016-
- Clarkesworld: Year Three, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2013
- Clarkesworld: Year Four, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2013
- Clarkesworld: Year Five, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2013
- Clarkesworld: Year Six, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2014
- Upgraded, Wyrm Publishing, September 2014
- Clarkesworld: Year Seven, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2015
- Clarkesworld: Year Eight, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, February 2016
- The Best Science Fiction of the Year Volume One, Night Shade Books, June 2016
- The Best Science Fiction of the Year Volume Two, Night Shade Books, 2017
In addition to his work on Clarkesworld, through Wyrm Publishing, Neil has published books by Gene Wolfe, Charles Stross, Catherynne M. Valente and others. Wyrm also serves as the official publisher of the annual Clarkesworld anthologies.
- Memorare by Gene Wolfe (signed limited)
- Shriek: An Afterward by Jeff VanderMeer (signed limited)
- Tides from the New Worlds by Tobias S. Buckell (signed limited)
- Toast by Charles Stross (signed limited)
- Unplugged edited by Rich Horton (trade paperback)
- Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente (ebook)
- Myths of Origin by Catherynne M. Valente (trade paperback, ebook)
- Dream Houses by Genevieve Valentine (ebook)
- Upgraded edited by Neil Clarke (trade paperback, ebook)
- Clarkesworld Anthologies: Realms 1, 2, Clarkesworld: Year Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight