Neil was born in 1966 and grew up with his family in a quiet corner of NJ. He attended Bayley Ellard High School and graduated from Drew University with a degree in Computer Science. After graduation, he went to work in the educational technology field, where he has worked for over twenty years. In 2006, he launched Clarkesworld Magazine and Wyrm Publishing a year later. Reprint magazine, Forever, followed in 2015. Neil has a day job in academia and is also the ebook designer for Prime Books, Cheeky Frawg, and a few magazines.
In 2012, Neil suffered a near-fatal heart attack while attending Readercon in Burlington, MA. The damage sustained in this incident later required that he undergo surgery for the implantation of a defibrillator. These events inspired his 2014 cyborg anthology, Upgraded.
Neil currently resides in New Jersey with his wife and two sons.
As an editor, Neil has focused on short fiction. Under his leadership, Clarkesworld has been nominated for four Hugo Awards for Best Semiprozine, winning three-times. He has been nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Editor (Short Form) three times. Clarkesworld has also received four World Fantasy Award nominations, winning one in 2014. Stories published in Clarkesworld have won or been nominated for the Hugo, Nebula, World Fantasy, Sturgeon, Locus, BSFA, Shirley Jackson, WSFA Small Press and Stoker Awards.
- Clarkesworld Magazine, 2006 -
- Clarkesworld: Year Three, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2013
- Clarkesworld: Year Four, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2013
- Clarkesworld: Year Five, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2013
- Clarkesworld: Year Six, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2014
- Clarkesworld: Year Seven, (with Sean Wallace), Wyrm Publishing, 2015 (forthcoming)
- Forever Magazine, 2015 -
- Upgraded, Wyrm Publishing, September 2014
In addition to his work on Clarkesworld, through Wyrm Publishing, Neil has published books by Gene Wolfe, Charles Stross, Catherynne M. Valente and others. Wyrm also serves as the official publisher of the annual Clarkesworld anthologies.
- Memorare by Gene Wolfe (signed limited)
- Shriek: An Afterward by Jeff VanderMeer (signed limited)
- Tides from the New Worlds by Tobias S. Buckell (signed limited)
- Toast by Charles Stross (signed limited)
- Unplugged edited by Rich Horton (trade paperback)
- Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente (ebook)
- Myths of Origin by Catherynne M. Valente (trade paperback)
- Dream Houses by Genevieve Valentine (ebook)
- Clarkesworld Anthologies: Realms 1, 2, Clarkesworld: Year Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven