Nothing quite captures the imagination of a science fiction reader or author more than the galactic empire: vast, ancient, and full of secrets! From tales of sweeping space opera battles to stories of palace intrigue, from renegade freedom fighters to dangerous princes and princesses, and more, these galaxy-spanning stories both define—and challenge—the field.
REPRINT ANTHOLOGY – Print and Ebook
Publisher: Night Shade Books
Editor: Neil Clarke
Rate: One cent per word advance against pro-rata share of royalties
Length: 2000 – 20000 words
Genre: Science Fiction
Language: English language (translations welcome)
Format: .doc or .rtf
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: MARCH 19, 2016
Submit stories at: neilclarke.sendsubmission.com
Recommend stories by commenting on this post or as an email to [email protected]
FICTION (stories will be podcast throughout the month)
- “The Fixer” by Paul McAuley
- “That Which Stands Tends Toward Free Fall” by Benjanun Sriduangkaew
- “In the Mist of Life” by Nick Wolven
- “Between Dragons and Their Wrath” by An Owomoyela and Rachel Swirsky
- “Blood Dauber” by Ted Kosmatka and Michael Poore (reprint)
- “Mercurial” by Kim Stanley Robinson (reprint)
- Six Quirks of the Human Genome by Dan Koboldt
- Sapient Animals and Memory Particles: A Conversation with Lawrence M. Schoen by Chris Urie
- Another Word: Very Close Now by Fran Wilde
- Editor’s Desk: The Roundup by Neil Clarke
- “Power Surge” by Julie Dillon
This issue is now available via:
I’ve just been announced as the new editor of the SFWA Bulletin. No, this doesn’t mean I’ll be quitting my day job, but it does get me one step closer. Between Clarkesworld, Forever, Best Science Fiction of the Year, and several anthologies I haven’t told you about yet, and the Bulletin, I’m going to be quite busy, but the right kind of busy. 2016 is going to be a good year.
Here’s a special Clarkesworld reading list for those of us stuck in the blizzard (if you prefer audio, there is an audio link on each of those pages):
And let’s pretend one of these is the cover:
If you enjoy this special Clarkesworld playlist, consider supporting us at Patreon or subscribing to our digital edition.
Clarkesworld Magazine occasionally has need of new slush readers. If you are interested, please fill out this application. We never know when an opening will happen, but when one does, people on this list get priority.
A few notes:
- This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- Slush readers & other staff are prohibited from submitting stories or articles to the magazine.
- You will be expected to read and provide comments on an average of five stories per day.
It’s closing in on that time of year again… award nomination season.
As has been the case for the last few years, Clarkesworld Magazine is not eligible for the Hugo Award for Best Semiprozine. We are professional by their definitions. I remain eligible in editor short form. Oddly enough, we are still classed as non-professional according to the World Fantasy Awards.
If you are considering nominating any of our 2015 stories for the Hugo, World Fantasy, or Nebula Awards this year, here are the appropriate categories and links to the stories:
(Note: World Fantasy differs here. Stories with * are novellas by their definition. Others are short stories.)